My Experience with Misoprostol for Miscarriage

I am a 30 y.o. female who found out she was pregnant on July 9th, 2014. It was our first try and we were so excited and very surprised at how quickly it happened. I only had sore breasts and gas, and maybe a couple waves of nausea. Of note, I had some weird twinges on my left lower abdomen. I chalked it up to normal since there was no bleeding or heavy cramping.

On July 31st (8 weeks), at our first ultrasound, we found out that our baby had passed away at about 6.5 weeks. There was no heartbeat and we had had a missed miscarriage. We were devastated and I wanted to get the process of miscarriage over as soon as possible so I could move on with my life. Waiting around for my body to figure out that my baby had passed away seemed like torture. Initially I wanted the D&C but my Dr. could not schedule it for 2 weeks and I did not want to wait, nor did I want to entrust my body to a Dr. I didn’t know. Alas, I chose a medically induced miscarriage.

I am writing this post because I found so many helpful blog posts and threads on line on other woman’s experiences with Misoprostol and I wanted to share my experience. Please forgive the graphic nature of this post. I do not want to leave anything out.


3pm: Picked up the Misoprostol along with some Percocet. I already had Motrin at home. Highly recommend that you have a stronger pain killer thank Motrin

4pm: Made dinner with my husband and showered, since I wasn’t sure what to expect.

5pm: Took Motrin 600mg for pain control.

5:30pm: Vaginally inserted 800 mcg (4 tablets) of Misoprostol. Lay down for 2 hours even though the Dr. said I only needed to lay down for 1 hour to make sure the pills don’t fall out.

8:30pm: I was hardly feeling any cramps but I was severely cold and shivering even with a down comforter and a heating pad on my abdomen. No fever though.

10pm: Having slightly more cramping that earlier, but nothing too painful. Take 1 Percocet and go to bed.


4am: Wake up with an alarm I set to eat some crackers and take another Percocet just in case. Pain is a 1/10. When I use the restroom and wipe, there is finally some blood.

9am-10pm: Wake up for the day with very little cramps but I am finally bleeding some. But I am not filling up pads like I thought I would. My husband stayed home from work with me just in case I needed him. It was an uneventful day. The cramping was no worse that my period is usually and I am not bleeding any more that I do when I’m on my period. I take motrin for the pain.


10am: Call my Dr.’s office because I am not sure if I should take the second prescribed dose of the medication. Her instructions are to take the second dose 24 hours after the first if no significant bleeding. Well I’m definitely bleeding but I don’t feel like I’ve passed anything that is a clot or my baby. And I missed the 24 hour mark to take the next dose. Today is very emotional for me and i keep crying on and off, even though I have not cried for 3 days.

12pm: The OB RN calls me back. After hearing my thoughts and describing my symptoms she thinks I should take the second dose. I also ask to be off of work for the rest of the week in anticipation of this next dose of medication taking forever to work.

3pm: I fill the prescription and head home.

4:30pm: I take 600mg of Motrin and insert the second 800mcg (4 pills) of Misoprostol vaginally so I can get the process started before my hubby comes home from work. I decide not to take a Percocet because I didn’t have that much pain the first time. Spoiler alert: I should have taken it early this time. I go to the couch to lay down for an hour again.

6pm: Hubby gets home from work and I am having much more intense cramps than the first time I took the mediation. I am using a heating pad on high and curled up in the fetal position on the couch. Hubby makes me dinner and we put in a movie.

7pm: I am feeling a lot of lower abdominal pressure. While I have never been in labor, I have read about it and I feel like I am starting to have some contractions. The cramping seems to come and go about every 4-5 minutes. I cannot get comfortable laying down so I do some pacing in our apartment. The cramps seem to subside.

8pm: The cramping and pressure are so bad that I take a Percocet (finally). I am kicking myself for not doing this sooner as I am in intense pain. I am pacing back and fourth even more with some rest breaks to curl up in a ball on our bed. My poor husband can only watch me and rub my back. He feels helpless and I feel so bad that he has to watch me go through this.

9pm: The Percocet seems to have kicked in a little bit, but I am still having very heavy pressure and cramping. I feel like the cramping/pressure is continuous now and no amount of pacing, breathing, or position changes will make it stop. My body is cold, I feel sweaty and faint. No temperature still. I feel like I have to have a bowel movement so I sit on the toilet. There is a lot of blood dripping out, some small dime sized clots and I am able to have a bowel movement. Some of the pressure and pain is relieved when that happens. But I still hurt so bad I think I may need to go to the emergency room for pain medicine. I try to suck it up.

10pm: I have finally found some comfort in the fetal position on the couch with the heating pad on my abdomen. I still feel the pressure but the cramping has finally subsided. I start to fall in and out of sleep. I take 600mg more of motrin.

10:15pm: I decided to try to use the bathroom again. As I am sitting on the toilet, I feel something heavy come out of me and go “plop” into the toilet. I say to my husband “I think I’ve passed it but I don’t want to look”. Of course, I do look because I have to know if it’s over. I take a glance at it and it looks like a greyish round thing about the size of a small lemon. That was all I needed to see to know it was over. I felt intense relief that I had finally miscarried. I say goodbye to my baby and I let it all go.

10:30pm: I only have very minimal cramping and all the pressure is gone. I am able to finally go to sleep after my hubby and I cuddle each other. I am so relived that it is finally over.


8am: I wake up after and full night of uninterrupted sleep with some mild cramping but nothing that 600mg of motrin can’t cure. I find today that I am bleeding like I am on a heavy day of my period and my cramps are no worse that a heavy flow day. I am still sad but I no longer feel like crying.

If you made it this far, thank you for reading this. I hope my experience can alleviate some of your fears and answer some of your questions about using Misoprostol for your miscarriage. Please remember that if something doesn’t seem right to you to follow up with your Dr. This is just my experience, and it is in no way a substitute for medical advice.

I have a follow up ultrasound on 8/14/14 to make sure everything has cleared out. I sincerely hope that is the case and I do not need a D&C. I feel like after all I went through that would be so cruel. But I will update on this blog what happens.

Best wishes to you if you are going through this like I had to. I am still very sad that I will not have a baby but I have hope that we can try again soon. I also have hope that this will not happen again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s