Tag Archives: endometritis

The “What Ifs” are Hard to Carry

First of all I want to thank you all for your comments on my last few blog posts. I have not made time, nor have I had the energy to respond. I feel like I’m just going through the motions with a lot of things in life right now, and I’m ok with that.

Now onto the point of this post. Last Tuesday I met with my MFM to go over his thoughts on what the heck happened. He is a fabulous doctor, and he answered about 98% of my questions without me having to ask them. I wonder if that’s because he’s extra awesome or if that’s pretty standard for most people. Of course we don’t really know what happened. However, his best guess is that something was wrong with the placenta given that the placenta was on the smaller side and I had growth restriction in my pregnancy with A. But even with him saying that, he reiterated that we don’t know if Colton was growth restricted based on his weight (2lb 1oz, which was on the lower side of normal for gestational age) since we did not have a growth scan scheduled until 30 weeks.

There were no signs of infection, no blood clotting issues, no maternal fetal hemorrhage, or signs of a cord accident (there was a loose nuchal cord noted when I delivered him but this is very unlikely to be the cause of his death according to my MFM). I honestly wish there was a concrete answer, even if it was that my uterus sucks, because that would make it a whole lot easier.

Then we moved into the (scary) realm of trying again. If this is our decision, we should wait at least six months from the delivery, which puts us at late August. Getting pregnant too quickly increases the risk for growth restriction and pre-term labor, both of which I’m at risk for in general with my unicornuate uterus. Then we talked about what kind of monitoring I would need, and he basically said he wanted to meet with me early in my next pregnancy to come up with a plan I’m comfortable with. He offered to manage my entire pregnancy if I want, or we can co-manage with my OB, or I can just be managed by my OB (HA, yeah right!!). His recommendation is a growth scan around 23-26 weeks at least, and if I feel I need more frequent monitoring then he is happy to do it. He also said he would be happy to meet up and talk again before I am actually pregnant to go over any other questions I may have.

I asked the ever so important question of what is our risk of having another stillbirth, and both my husband and I were pretty shocked by the answer. He did the statistics in his head based on his knowledge of studies and experience and came up with 5-10%, but likely closer to 5%. His reasoning is that I will be monitored much more closely in any future pregnancy. That does not necessarily mean that I will have a term baby, but a 95% chance to deliver a live baby (meaning it’s possible that I may be induced early and have a premature baby). We both were surprised that the recurrent stillbirth prediction is so low (not 1% low like most people who have an “unexplained” stillbirth, but still low). He also calculated that my risk is about 50% to have another growth restricted pregnancy. This is way lower than my husband and I would have thought. Another related thing I wanted to know is how many times he’s seen someone have two stillbirths in a row and he said once, and both of this person’s babies had genetic defects as the reason for stillbirth.

Overall, this makes me reassured that if we do decide to try again, I will be monitored much more closely than with both Colton and A.

Something I asked him is if he thinks I’m crazy for wanting to try again. He said based on my risk factors and his analysis, he does not think it’s crazy at all for me to try for another pregnancy. I just have to make sure I can cope with the worst happening again.

My last questions was about using lovenox in a subsequent pregnancy. He does not think it’ll do anything (and he also does not think the aspirin does anything) but if I want to try it and can’t find someone to prescribe it, he would be happy to prescribe it for me. My husband does not want me to use this medicine and says it’s a deal breaker for trying again. I would like to try it if we do try again so I’ll have to figure out if I can convince him to let me do it.

I just wanted to add that my D&C showed that I had an infection in my uterus (endometritis) and no retained placenta was noted. The mass my OB saw could be a small fibroid (which has never been noted on any ultrasound or other test I’ve had so I’m guessing it’s a recent growth). We will follow up on this later, especially if I have long periods or bleeding and cramping in between periods. I finished a 5 day course of doxycycline and I am taking a 2 week course of Augmentin to hopefully get rid of it. My MFM says that endometritis is something the pathologist writes when they don’t have anything else to put down so it’s possible I’m taking the antibiotics for nothing. Awesome…

I don’t think I’ve actually written much about the events surrounding us finding out that Colton died, but I only noticed reduced fetal movement about 2 days before he died, and I have major regrets that I did not go in on Friday night after noticing the reduced movement. I was super concerned that night and I will always wonder if I would have gotten checked out if he would be here today. I am well aware that a 28 week delivery would likely have had some bad outcomes (including him dying anyway) but it’s hard to not wonder if he would be coming home soon (since this past Saturday I would have been 37 weeks). Both my OB, MFM and husband all say to not beat myself up over this, and I’m not, but the what ifs are hard to carry. I’ll leave it at that.